The EARTHscope continues to get rave reviews at conferences, continually enabling the ES team to build
our network of supporters and potential collaborators.
For the June, 2003 PlaNetwork Conference in San Francisco,
BFI put together a panel of presenters
under the heading of "Geo-Storytelling." It was not only an opportunity to demonstrate EARTHscope, but
also a perfect way to explore collaboration with our co-panelists, Ben Discoe and Todd Helt:
- Ben Discoe, of the Virtual Terrain Project,
has created a robust, open source 3-D terrain modeling
program which contains a 3-D satellite globe featuring NASA's latest satellite imagery that seamlessly
transforms into the Fuller Projection.
- Todd Helt, a founder of Telemorphic, presented his Maplicity software, a browser-based solution
that allows users to perform real-time interactive map analysis and visualization via the Internet.
ESRI User Conference
In July,2003 the ES team, headed by ES co-producer Marshall Lefferts and ES designer Joe Skopek, attended the
ESRI User Conference in San Diego, CA.
Philip Mielke, GIS pro and volunteer extraordinaire, joined the team to give a presentation on the ES
during the ESRI Educators Conference. ESRI's enthusiasm for the Fuller Projection prompted them to
prominently display three six-foot Dymaxion Globes
at the San Diego Convention Center, depicting multiple geography themes.
Furthermore, both BFI's new satellite edition of the Fuller Projection poster and the icosa fold-up
globe were available for purchase at the conference bookstore.
In early August,2003 BFI President Joshua Arnow attended the Digital Library for Earth System Education
(DLESE) conference in Boulder, CO, where he gave numerous ES presentations and made valuable connections
with key players in the fields of education, computer sciences, and earth system literacy.
DLESE is an effort funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to improve the quality, quantity,
and efficiency of teaching and learning about the Earth system at all levels.
(Read a US Geological Survey report on the DLESE conference 528k pdf, which mentions a BFI
proposal for USGS data.)
It is enormously validating to see BFI's EARTHscope so well received at every conference we attend.
Other conferences that have featured EARTHscope and the ES team include:
- 3rd International Symposium on Digital Earth in Brno, Czech Republic (2003)
- International Workshop on the Digital Earth in Beijing, China (2002)
- Digital Earth GeoBrowser 2 Conference in Santa Barbara, CA (2002) Digital Earth
- World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg, South Africa (2002)
- 2002 ESRI User Conference (main conference and educational) in San Diego, CA (2002)
read ES paper from conference (975k Word doc)
- Social Venture Network in San Jose, CA (2001)
- Century of the Environment Conference at Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, NY (2001)
- Paradox III at Arcosanti, AZ (2001)